Weird Facts, Interesting Facts, Fun Fact, Trivia, Photos and Videos
- If you are locked in a completely sealed room, you will die of carbon dioxide poisoning before you will die of oxygen deprivation. Read More For example, when the carbon-dioxide scrubbers failed on Apollo 13. They had enough oxygen for the whole trip, but they couldn't remove CO2 fast enough with three people taxing the built-for-two LEM.
- If you can see a rainbow you must have your back to the sun. If you don't, you can't see it. The only way to see a complete, full circle, rainbow is to be flying (or falling). Otherwise whatever you’re standing on will cast a shadow that will cut off the bottom of the circle. A rainbow is an angle-dependent illusion. They don’t actually exist anywhere, they just appear to.
- Switching to LED lighting for signage will save Holiday Inn an estimated $4.4 Million a year. Read More
- In Casablanca, Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam." Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson."
- Captain Kirk never said "Beam me up, Scotty," but he did say, "Beam me up, Mr. Scott."
- In United Kingdom, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak. False, he is allowed to speak, but he may not take part in debates and must maintain his or her non-partisan status.
- In most watch advertisements the time displayed on the watch is 10:10 because then the arms frame the brand of the watch (and make it look like it's smiling.)
- In the film 'Star Trek : First Contact', when Picard shows Lilly she is orbiting Earth, Australia and Papa New Guinea are clearly visible .. but New Zealand is missing.
- It takes 8.5 minutes for light to get from the sun to earth.
- Jacques Cousteau invented scuba gear while in the French resistance during World War II.
- Jet lag was once called boat lag, back before jets existed.
- John Wilkes Booth shot Lincoln in a theatre and was found in a warehouse. Lee Harvey Oswald shot Kennedy from a warehouse and was found in a theatre.
- John Wilkes Booth's brother once saved the life of Abraham Lincoln's son.
- Lady Astor once told Winston Churchill 'if you were my husband, I would poison your coffee'. His reply ' if you were my wife, I would drink it!'
- Look at the number four on a clock face that uses Roman numerals. If the clock is made correctly then the Roman numeral four is wrong. The standard and correct way to write the Roman numeral four is "IV," but the traditional way to show it on a clock face is "IIII." Legend has it that a clock was made for a British king. When he saw the clock he mis- informedly corrected the clock maker who re-did the clock face to show a "IIII" instead of an "IV" thus not risking offending the king. Other clock makers followed suit so as not to embarrass the king. Now it is the traditional way to make clocks.
- Men leave their hotel rooms cleaner than women do.
- Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a "Friday the 13th."
- More money is printed daily for the Monopoly game than by the U.S. Treasury.
- More people are killed each year from bees than from snakes.
- Most Americans' car horns beep in the key of F.
- Mozart was buried in an unmarked pauper's grave.
- Mr. Rogers was an ordained minister" Fred McFeely Rogers (March 20, 1928 – February 27, 2003) Thxs, Sunflowerlover
- "The bikini got it’s name from the oooh and awe resulting from a nuclear test at Bikini Atoll." Read More
- Eighty nine per cent of the weight of water is made up from oxygen.
- No animal, once frozen solid (i.e., water solidifies and turns to ice) survives when thawed, because the ice crystals formed inside cells would break open the cell membranes. However there are certain frogs that can survive the experience of being frozen. These frogs make special proteins, which prevent the formation of ice (or at least keep the crystals from becoming very large), so that they actually never freeze even though their body temperature is below zero Celsius. The water in them remains liquid: a phenomenon known as 'supercooling.' If you disturb one of these frogs (just touching them even), the water in them quickly freezes solid and they die.
- Oak trees do not have acorns until they are fifty years old or older.
- On 15 April 1912 the RMS Titanic sunk on her maiden voyage and over 1,500 people died. Fourteen years earlier a novel was published by Morgan Robertson which seemed to foretell the disaster. The book described a ship the same size as the Titanic which crashes into an iceberg on its maiden voyage on a misty April night. The name of Robertson's fictional ship was the Titan.
- On an American one-dollar bill, there is an owl in the upper left-hand corner of the "1" encased in the "shield" and a spider hidden in the front upper right-hand corner.
- One of the reasons marijuana is illegal today is because cotton growers in the 30s lobbied against hemp farmers -- they saw it as competition. It is not chemically addictive as is nicotine, alcohol, or caffeine.
- Panama hats come from Ecuador not Panama.
- Peanuts are used in the production of dynamite.
- Pearls melt in vinegar.
- If you were freeze-dried, 10% of your body weight would be from the microorganisms on your body.
- Pinocchio is Italian for "pine eyes."
- Pogonophobia is the fear of beards.
- "The number of licenses to operate cabs in New York [City] has actually shrunk since 1937." Read More
- Residents of the island of Lesbos are Lesbosians, rather than Lesbians. (Of course, lesbians are called lesbians because Sappho was from Lesbos.)
- Revolvers generally cannot be silenced, due to all the noisy gasses which escape the cylinder gap at the rear of the barrel. Unless the revolver is gas sealed like the Nagant M1895 Revolver. Thxs to Ben for pointing this out.
- S.O.S. doesn't stand for "Save Our Ship" or "Save Our Souls" -- It was chosen by an 1908 international conference on Morse Code because the letters S and O were easy to remember and just about anyone could key it and read it, S = dot dot dot, O = dash dash dash.
- Paper money is not made from wood pulp but from cotton. This means that it will not disintegrate as fast if it is put in the laundry.
- Smithee is a pseudonym that filmmakers use when they don't want their names to appear in the credits. Source Thxs, David
- Soda water does not contain soda.
- Soweto in South Africa was derived from SOuth WEst TOwnship.
- Spain literally means 'the land of rabbits.'
- Every person has a unique tongue print.
- Speak of the Devil is short for "Speak of the Devil and he shall come". It was believed that if you spoke about the Devil it would attract his attention and he would appear.
- The 'vintage date' on a bottle of wine indicates the year the grapes were picked, not the year of bottling!
- Michael Nesmith's (The Monkees) mother, Bette Nesmith, invented Liquid Paper.
- Each year, there are more than 40,000 toilet related injuries in the United States.
- More than ten people a year are killed by vending machines.
Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, Page 4, Page 5, Page 6, Page 7, Page 8Page 9
Stay tuned for more Fun Facts coming soon!
Weird Facts is updated daily and has been online since 1999.
We read all comments and respond to any requests.
Submit a Fact or Correct a fact